UPDATED: Contest is over, thanks for playing!
I'm gonna mix up the format here, shake you guys up. Just when you're getting used to the Monday Music video. But's it's all worth it, 'cause I've got something to give you. Well, only two of you, so pay attention!
Imagine if Polvo got into a heavy duty relationship with Soul Coughing, had a kid and their kid went off to marry Cake and they had a kid. That kid would date Like A Stuntman.
Their newest release is a combination of sounds and styles, bending across genres and making you feel comfortable, but not familiar. The band, C. Fleck, S. Fritz, M. Gross, and T. Ullrich have been making music since 2001, but this is their first full length release.
From their newest release, "Fresh air is not the worst thing in town" (2005):Like A Stuntman - Let's Talk About Horses
About a month ago, I was lucky enough to come in contact with Thorsten, from Highpoint Lowlife
records. You might remember his label from this post
I did a month ago. He put in me in touch with the band, who agreed to an interview:
1) What is your first musical memory?In terms of music, we had a horrible childhood, since our parents didn´t have a good taste or a particular interest in music. So we grew up listening to stupid german folk music and other bad things from the radio until we figured out where to get the good stuff from.
2) What was the first album/CD/tape that you remember purchasing? The last?As a sign of rebellion Christian´s first CD was AC/DC - must have been really bad times back then. Some of the last CDs we bought were boyracer, the books, deerhoof andsufjan stevens - all good stuff.
4) Of all of the things that you own, what is the one material thing you couldn't do without?Guess today nobody can live without the computer. Everything that we do, including music and artwork for cover, posters.... is done on the computer as well as most of the organizing and communication stuff concerning the band. So it´s definitely a computer and internet access. Nothing is better that sitting in front of the screen, pretending to do some serious work.Oh - and of course a stereo, records and instruments - guess one thing isn´t enough.
5) If you could go back and change one decision that you made in the past, what would it be and why?Nothing real big, probably lots of small decisions. Never regret anything.
6) What's your favorite part of the music making process?Drinking beer after the show – no, just joking.Writing and recording songs is usually a mixture of planned and unplanned things that happen, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn´t, so our favourite part of the music making process is when it does work out and we´re satisfied with the result.
From their 7", "Reduce" (2005)Like A Stuntman - Home Run
7) What's your best musical memory?The best thing is, what´s happening just now. We´re getting such good reviews, and we´re totally looking forward to the upcoming UK tour – sorry, nothing else in our memory at the moment.
9) What's your favorite television show, film or book?“Man without a past” was pretty cool.
10) How old is your oldest piece of clothing?Sven has a pair of shoes that´s nine years old which he´s wearing while painting, Christian has some 8 year old pants, and Matthias owns a sweater that he got from his uncle which is probably from the seventies, but it got a big hole around the elbow lately.
11) What instrument strikes you as being capable of producing the most beautiful sound?The most beautiful sounds usually happen quite unexpected while playing around with the synthesizer or trying out different effects on instruments or voices.
From their newest release, "Fresh air is not the worst thing in town" (2005)Like A Stuntman - We're Not In Brazil
From their self-released e.p., "Park the trailer in the park" (2004)Like A Stuntman - For The Mission
And, there are some additional live tracks available on their website,
which will hopefully get you in the mood for the tour, that is if you're fortunate enough to live in the UK.
And this, kids, is where it gets fun. I've got, courtesy of Highpoint Lowlife Records
, two copies of their newest release, "Fresh air is not the worst thing in town," for two lucky winners. All you have to do is spend a little time with these guys and answer three questions:
1) Name one of the three LIVE tracks you can dowload from the band's site
2) What city was Highpoint Lowlife Records
originally based in?
3) What other artist on Highpoint Lowlife Records has been on grapeJuiceplus before?
So there you go. First two people to answer all three questions correctly gets their own copy of Like A Stuntman's 2005 release, "Fresh air is not the worst thing in town." Email your answers to guanoboy at gmail dot com. I'll let you know if you won and there you go, what more could you want?
CONTEST IS OVER!
And if this is something you want to see more of, make sure to let Highpoint Lowlife
know by visiting them and buying their stuff. Thorsten is a super-cool guy and he believes in music and sharing it.