Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Can you read the stars...

Nyles Lannon - The Nature of Things



I few days ago I highlighted the work of Nyles Lannon, a San Francisco based musician. Shortly after that I contacted him and was lucky enough to have him agree to an interview. As with most things I do...I tried to make it a little bit different. I didn't want to ask the same questions you hear everywhere else. But at the same time, I didn't want to make it sound like I was trying to make it a weird interview, asking questions for the sake of asking different questions. Instead, I wanted to get into his head a bit, try to understand him and why he does what he does. Hopefully, I succeeded, even if just a little bit.



1) What is your first musical memory?
There was always a lot of music around me when I was growing up. My parents have great taste in music and introduced me to countless records. It was always something that we enjoyed together -I have so many memories of playing with my legos or Star Wars figures while my dad listened to his new records. As I've gotten older I've gone back to their collection again and again and discovered new things.

2) What was the first album/CD/tape that you remember purchasing?
The first one was Blondie Autoamerican, Air Supply Lost in Love...

The last?
I haven't been buying much music because I am broke and have been for the last few years! I haven't figured out yet how to put out records and live comfortably. I usually trade music with bands I play with or I'm given records by friends or labels. The last thing I got that I really liked was a CD from my friends in Thee More Shallows.

3) Has there been anything lately in your life that unexpectedly struck you as beautiful?
It happens all the time when you are writing music, especially when you are experimenting with software. Suddenly something will pop out and you will record it, not knowing if you really like it or not, and then you will go back and listen and it will be the best thing you've done all week. That is what I do with my n.Ln project, it's all electronic experimentation. I'm working on another n.Ln record right now for Highpoint Lowlife Records.



4) Of all of the things that you own, what is the one material thing you couldn't do without?
I'm very light on the possessions. I have a computer that I kind of need for making music, but that is all. I spend all my money on food and travel. Even my gear is light, I only have the bare minimum.

5) If you could go back and change one decision that you made in the past, what would it be and why?
I try not to get caught up in wishing I had done something differently in the past or regretting
certain decisions; I prefer to live in the moment and just focus on the things I have right now. It's so easy to beat yourself up about bad decisions or wrong turns. The fact is they are just part of life. There are always better ways to do things, shorter paths that only wisdom can illuminate, but wisdom comes with a price. I've worked at corporations, had destructive
relationships, wasted a lot of time, all of it...but here I am and things are good, and I know now what I want and what to stay away from. So I'm not complaining.

n.Ln - I Never Heard

6) What's your favorite part of the music making process?
I love writing songs and having something create itself out of nothing. It is really exciting to see songs evolve, they kind of write themselves. And then when you start to put together an entire album it can be really fun.

7) What's your best musical memory?
It's a wonderful feeling to finally have something in your hand that you have created. Your kids will someday see it, their kids, etc. There is something timeless about releasing a record. My parents love it.

8) What's the most frightening thing that's ever happened to you?
Thinking I was losing my mind when I was 25. That was scary.

9) What's your favorite television show, film or book?
I dont watch TV. My favorite movie has to be Spinal Tap - I mean, I can pretty much quote the whole thing at this point! :)




10) How old is your oldest piece of clothing?
I still wear a shirt that I bought when I was 18. Its ripped all over but I love it and wear it on stage all the time. It had aliens on it and they are disecting a human.

11) What instrument strikes you as being capable of producing the most beautiful sound?
I dont think there is anything more beautiful than the human voice.

12) How annoying are these questions?
They are hard! But at least you didnt ask me my influences!

Please go and visit Nyles at one of his three sites, he's not reluctant to share his music.

Nyles Lannon
n.Ln music
Film School

And his labels:

Highpoint Lowlife Records
Badman Records

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares
What's that? grapejuiceplus.