Sunday, November 28, 2004

My Hearts Unfurled!



About two weeks ago, Tuwa's Shanty did a post about Nancy Wilson...I'd like to follow it up a bit with a couple of more songs from an album (recorded in 1960) that she did with George Shearing. It's a wonderful album, and the title goes far in explaining it: The Swingin's Mutual! It captures a good portion of the mood of the album, especially when placed in the time period in which it was recorded. Nancy was pretty young at the time, 23, I think, and her vocals were strong and vibrant. The album is part instrumental, and the George Shearing quintet really shine as well.

Here are three of my favorite tracks, although, again the whole album is pretty darn good:

The George Shearing Quintet with Nancy Wilson - The Things We Did Last Summer REMOVED
The George Shearing Quintet with Nancy Wilson - Let's Live Again REMOVED
The George Shearing Quintet with Nancy Wilson - All Night Long REMOVED

The CD is available at Amazon and also at itunes.

The Swingin's Mutual!

6 Comments:

Blogger erik said...

This really realy good stuff that I never heard of before. Thanks

9:50 PM  
Blogger guanoboy said...

Glad you like it! That's what it's all about!

D

10:31 AM  
Blogger thebeathunters said...

sophisticated, lovely and charmin as audrey hepburn in breakfast at tiffany's
thanks for these gems!

3:22 AM  
Blogger Tuwa said...

These are wonderful; thanks for posting them. (Yes, I'm just listening to them now--I got behind with schoolwork). The band *is* good here, and Nancy Wilson--well, I knew what to expect from her because of the other album. Good stuff.

11:32 PM  
Blogger Paul Irish said...

Seems like beathunters, tuwa, and I are common commenters on many blogs.

Regardless, I had to post on this one.
Great great stuff.

Do you know any other music very similar to this? I've got something on the tip of my ear, but I can't identify it.

6:21 PM  
Blogger guanoboy said...

Paul-

It's nice to see you here...I love your site, you've got a consistant level of goodness over there at aurgasm!

As far as stuff similar, I know what you mean. This album seems to remind me of something everytime I hear it but I've come to the point where I just say it's more of an era thing...where this album is just the perfect soundtrack to what I think that time would've sounded like in a swingin' sort of way. There are lots of acts that have this sound, but not this level of perfection...I've heard vocal comparisons to Dinah Washington, but I'm not familiar enough with her to think of an album that sounds similar. I would say the same about Etta James, although she might have a bit more soul in her voice than Nancy. But again, I'm not an expert on this stuff.

There are some tracks by Julie London that have this sort of sound, although she's of a different breed, in terms of vocals. Again, I'm not super familiar with her, I just know of couple of songs.

If you find it, let me know!

8:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares
What's that? grapejuiceplus.