Tuesday, November 30, 2004

...don't want to be seen, just want to be heard...



Felt are one of those bands, like Orange Juice, that still sound great to my simple-minded ears.
They formed in 1980 and were led by Lawrence, who definetely led the band. His long term plan was to release 10 albums and 10 singles in 10 years. And they did it. Calling it quits when they were done.
Lawrence went on to form some other bands, Denim being one of them, but I lost track of him there. I'm not sure why because I really like Felt.
You'll hear the influences of television and Lou Reed and others throughout, but Lawrence's voice and the guitar work of Maurice Deebank and later John Mohan made it extra special.
You can still purchase a lot of their stuff through Amazon.

The first track is from the Robin Guthrie (4AD) produced "Ignite the Seven Cannons" and features Elizabeth Frazer (Cocteau Twins) on vocals:
Felt - Primitive Painters REMOVED

This instrumental track is from "The Strange Idols Pattern and Other Short Stories (strangely not listed on this version of the album):"
Felt - Crucifix Heaven REMOVED

And these two are from their last album, "Me and a Monkey on the Moon," which was highly overlooked and one of their best albums, in my oh so humble opinion:
Felt - I Can't Make Love To You Anymore REMOVED
Felt - A New Day Dawning REMOVED

7 Comments:

Blogger erik said...

From amazon.com:

Customers interested in Felt may also be interested in:
Sponsored Links ( What's this? ) Feedback

The Felt People
Felt for Every Purpose- Wool Craft 100's of Colors - Poker Felt too.
www.thefeltpeople.com

Felt For Less
50,000 Craft & Scrapbook Supplies. Over 900 Brands. Up To 50% Off.
www.CreateForLess.com

74" Felt, $6.75/yd
15 colors to choose from at an amazing 74 inches wide!
www.distinctivefabric.com

8:39 PM  
Blogger erik said...

Felt is one of those bands i kinda liked but never purchased.

Listening to the new stuff. What turned all these 4ad people from the 80s 4ad sound to twang?

8:42 PM  
Blogger guanoboy said...

Intersting point, I don't think I ever thought about it until now...

I think the 4AD roster was filled with fans of country and the like...it just wasn't really visible. Two examples come to mind. One is This Mortal Coil, who did quite a few covers of songs that were written by country music stars (Rodney Crowell's "Till I Gain Control" pops into my head). Another would be Wolfgang Press, who, although they didn't go twang, ended up collaborating with Tom Jones.

9:11 PM  
Blogger Tuwa said...

This Mortal Coil wasn't only country; they covered "Drugs" from Talking Heads' /Fear of Music/ album (but that's about all I know about them).

4AD also carried the Dead Can Dance albums, which started out sort of electronica/disco/goth and turned into worldpop.

11:21 PM  
Blogger heath said...

to be literal, Felt weren't a 4AD band.
they were always kind of hit or miss for me. I loved Primitive Painters though.

8:15 AM  
Blogger guanoboy said...

This Mortal Coil only did covers...which when I was a youngster, introduced me to quite a lot of bands...I would hear a track, like it and search out the original.

9:28 AM  
Blogger erik said...

I love this mortil coil and own the box set(which sould include the EP with it but it does not). The bonus cd includes some of the original tracks by the original artists. I have to say all the versions by the orignal artists are much much better (minus maybe drugs) than the TMC versions.

Listening to Felt really reminded my of The Apartments which TMC covers. The Apartments are really only known for being covered by TMC.

10:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares
What's that? grapejuiceplus.