Friday, June 17, 2005

A taste of honey

This is a repost from a few months ago. After hearing this great post over at Aurgasm, I thought I'd revive it. Enjoy.



I can't remember a time in my life when I wasn't aware of Lenny Welch. This was the soundtrack to my parents courtship. It was "their" album. It was, to my young mind, the thing that made the magic happen, it was the reason my parents loved each other so much. Maybe if I listened to it something magical would happen to me.

I'm older and a little wiser now and, fortunately, my parents are still in love. Of course, this wasn't the reason for their love, but with songs like this, how could it not have at least influenced it?

Lenny Welch isn't the best of the crooners, and a series of events, including being drafted and his record label folding, ensured that Lenny Welch would have a difficult time making it big. He did have a few decent size hits before being drafted, including "Since I Fell For You," which went to #4 in 1963 and "Ebb Tide," which went to #25 in 1964, even though it was a re-release of a recording he had made almost two years earlier.

Lenny may not be the best, but he's certainly really good. And these two songs demonstrate his range and the smoothness of his voice. And how can you go wrong with opening like the one in "A Taste of Honey?"

Lenny Welch - A Taste of Honey REMOVED
Lenny Welch - Father Sebastian REMOVED

The album this came from, "Anthology", is out print and only available used. But you can purchase "Since I fell for You" over at Amazon new.



3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

When you posted these two cuts a little while ago, I gave them a try & found them to be really good if not great.

A few days later, I was digging in a box of old 45s & found a Lenny Welch 7" on US Atco records. That turned out to be less good in all honesty.

The point is though that this kind of blog can kindle an interest in the most unexpected of artists. So, thanks for sharing.

3:07 AM  
Blogger countrygrrl said...

this indeed fab stuff...great voice and of course a taste of honey is one humdinger of a lyric..thanx...

12:18 PM  
Blogger guanoboy said...

It's always been a favorite...I had the original LP forever and only within the last 5 years was any of his stuff available on CD. His later stuff, which is what you may have had les dale, wasn't as good. He lost some of his innocence in his later years.

7:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares
What's that? grapejuiceplus.