Thursday, June 09, 2005

speaking of bad 80's music...

So today my son, age 7, and I made a mix CD for him. He went through my collection of CDs (1500+) and chose some of his favorite songs with no prompting from me. It's always interesting to see what he's sonically attracted to. Here's his list:

1. They Might Be Giants - Fake Believe
2. Architecture in Helsinki - The Owls Go
3. Cranberries - I Still Do
4. Smoosh - Rad
5. +/- - Crestfallen
6. +/- - Yo Yo Yo (Please Don't Go)
7. The White Stripes - The Hardest Button to Button
8. The Toasters - Go Girl
9. Clash - Should I Stay Or Should I Go?
10. Clash - Rock The Casbah
11. Bad Manners - Mamba / Ska No. 8
12. Big Audio Dynamite - Rock Non-Stop (All Night Long)
13. Big Audio Dynamite - Funny Names
14. Architecture in Helsinki - Neverevereverdid
15. Architecture in Helsinki - It'5
16. Architecture in Helsinki - Do The Whirlwind
17. Westworld - Rockulator
18. Blur - Tender
19. Geoffrey Oryema - The River
20. John Holt - It's A Jam In The Streets
21. Blur - Crazy Beat



So, in doing it, I realized that I'd never done a post on Westworld. This band drives my wife crazy. She abosolutely hates them. And my son almost revels in it, finding it funny that she dislikes it so much. He only put one song on the CD by them, although he wanted more, because he was worried she'd get too upset. I'm not a huge fan of the disc, their 12" releases were a bit better, and I don't even know why I still have it. They were a band that basically played off of Big Audio Dynamite's sound, with much less success. A cross between rockabilly and new wave (my wife is sitting next to me making snide remarks) with a bit of a beatbox thing thrown in. I think my original attraction stemmed from Elizabeth Westwood sounding like Annabella from Bow Wow Wow, although in retrospect I don't hear it as much as I did back then.

Westworld - Pyschotech REMOVED

Westworld - Silver Mac REMOVED




Or maybe it was just the fact that Elizabeth sported a pompadour.



Or maybe it was just that she was hot (Woops. I just admitted that sex sells music. Have I just hung myself?)

Westworld was originally formed by Bob Andrews, who got his start in Generation X of all places. After Westworld's demise, Bob and Elizabeth went on to form Moondogg, who are alive and kicking.


7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm impressed. I can't seem to get my 8 year old to listen to anything except Avril or Hilary!

8:46 PM  
Blogger Michael said...

Ha! Your kid has great taste - lots of Architecture in Helsinki is always good. My 5 year old daughter is a HUGE fan of "Crazy Beat" too. In fact, I know a bunch of kids who love that song - pretty funny how it seems to strike a chord with the wee ones!

7:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just made my 9 year old a mix cd that wasn't NEARLY this cool, tho he likes TMBG and "Song 2" by Blur. Kids' tastes are heavily influenced by what they see on tv and in the movies, so my son's mix cd's usually include "All Star" by Smashmouth and other songs that have been in movies.

The one thing I got him to dig that I am really proud of is "The Young Crazed Peeling" by the Distillers. -- jonhope

9:35 AM  
Blogger guanoboy said...

I was impressed too. On a recent trip to the local record store, he got excited in the jazz section - "Where's Miles Davis? Herbie Hancock?" I was floored. I didn't realize how much he was paying attention.

We also avoid TV like the plague, we do watch movies, although we're pretty picky about what the kids watch. Hate most of the dreamworks films (Shrek, etc.) so he's never seen those. Big fans of Pixar, which avoids the use of popular music in their movies.

Blur in general seems to be a big hit with the kids...weird.

10:56 AM  
Blogger bakinakwa said...

I want to add my astonishment too, the kid's got taste! That's success as a father, as far as I'm concerned.

11:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:20 PM  
Blogger savageYHS said...

WESTWORLD - WHERE THE ACTION IS (1987) - Anyone got the link?!
THANKS a lot!!*-)

4:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares
What's that? grapejuiceplus.