Friday, June 03, 2005

Slide on over this way, would yah?



So this is another jewel from the vinyl collection, although it seems it was released later on CD, though no longer in print. Hipsway released two albums, the first in 1986, from which this track comes. Their second, Scratch the Surface, was released in 1989. They were a band that I wanted to like more, but the reality of their album just didn't support the desire. Most of it lacked emotion, sounding as if they really didn't put any love into their work.



It wasn't so much that they were bad, it was more that they were flat, their music never really rose above tepid. There are moments there, though, when you hear something more, maybe there is something there...but it was never fully realized.

Hipsway - Broken Years REMOVED
Hipsway - Bad Thing Longing REMOVED

The bass player, John McElhone, was in Altered Images before Hipsway and later went on to join Texas.


3 Comments:

Blogger [João M. Gonçalves] said...

Oh God... That's a downward spiral... Altered Images [amazing band]... Hipsway [forgeatable...]... Texas [!!!].
Bass-players...

7:08 PM  
Blogger CP said...

Jeez, we share a lot in common: from reggae to Hipsway?!?! Yes!

I have superfond memories of dancing to Hipsway in France during the summer of 1987. Didn't get the girl I was dancing with, but I still have the Hipsway LP. *sigh*

Do you have Scratch the Surface? Never heard it.

7:25 PM  
Blogger guanoboy said...

Downward spiral? that's funny. I suppose you're right, I just didn't think of it in those terms...

From reggae to Hipsway...Yes! And everything in between. My collection is all over the place, as is yours (based on your site). I've always been a big fan of your site, thanks for visiting mine. I don't have Scratch the Surface. I heard that it's not very good, though. But I've decided to keep my eyes open for it...

9:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares
What's that? grapejuiceplus.