Monday, January 10, 2005

The only reason we fit is because we're sick


So things have been a bit busy in my world...the water main going up to my house busted...so I've had to get out a jackhammer and work away at a bunch of cement...tomorrow will be digging and laying down some new pipe. Also, my love is sick ...which makes me sad.

So, enough about me...(do you really care?)...I thought I'd sort of continue the 4AD related theme a bit here. Wow! A theme you say? Be careful...you've never done this before...you might put out an eye...



Shelleyan Orphan is not a name most people will recognize, think of the Sundays and you're half-way there. Shelleyan Orphan was mainly Caroline Crawley and Jemaur Tayle...but some of the other members are also recognizable...mainly Boris Williams, and Porl Thompson, both members of the Cure, and, I believe, Boris was Caroline's one time boyfriend (they both followed her into her next group, Babacar - there's a link to a Babacar song there (Real)). They also opened for the Cure back on the Prayer tour. They released three albums as best as I can tell.

So how does this relate to 4AD? Well, Caroline was one of the vocalists on This Mortal Coil's Blood album (a great album, by the way). So there you have it...both of these tracks are from the 1992 Rough Trade released album, "Humroot." It seems you have to go the used route to get any of their albums (Amazon).

Shelleyan Orphan - Burst - REMOVED
Shelleyan Orphan - Sick - REMOVED

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

genius! you have proven me wrong. my theory was that only 3-4 people on earth have a clue who shelleyan orphan were. i was also under the impression that only 2 people knew of babacar. so happy to be wrong.

you get a great big virtual hug if you can cough up the version of Forever with Caroline and The Cure at what was to be the last cure show ever. please?

thanks!
shane

9:36 AM  
Blogger guanoboy said...

Huge thanks for that link, Five...I had trouble finding any info out there on the band...somehow I missed that one. Would love for you to do the Babacar post, though...I don't actually have anything by them, didn't know they existed until I started digging around for this post.

Shane, wish I could help...I don't have it, I assume this is a live track, right? Bet that'd be good...did you see them perform it?

7:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just to let you know Shelleyan are on the move again in England doing gigs and an album in the pipeline. No label as yet but sounding fabulosi. Spread the word all 3 of you. Pelorus x

3:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Pelorus
Can you say anything more about the new Shelleyan Orphan activity? This is great news!!!

6:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

guys, some years have passed & links are dead. I would be very thankful if you could upload this again.

;)

12:24 PM  
Blogger matthew stetz said...

yes, plz repost!

10:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Boris and Caroline never married. I know a friend of theirs. They spilt up around 1998 or so afaik

5:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares
What's that? grapejuiceplus.