Tuesday, January 04, 2005

Frankly, dear, I'm worried as I look up in the sky tonight



Eggplant weren't around for very long...two albums in the late 80's/90's and that was it. But there are some interesting facts there...one is that both their album covers were done by Shag, yes, the Shag...before he was SHAG...and the other was...hmmm...I don't know that there is another. Oh, yeah, that made it onto the "129 Greatest OC Bands Ever" list, yeah, that's OC as in Orange County as in the television show. Oh, yeah, they were number 112.



But regardless, I've always had a soft spot in my small blackened heart for them...they worked for me...perhaps it's the Jonathan Richman like qualities or the simplicity or just the Shag covers or maybe it was that they made all their flyers at my then girlfriends work. Don't know, but there you go. Who's to explain why I like what I like. It certainly makes no sense to me.

Here's three tracks from their LP "Sad Astrology:(Amazon)"

Eggplant - Sad Astrology REMOVED
Eggplant - Confidant REMOVED
Eggplant - Breaking In My Heart (Tom Verlaine) REMOVED

And here's an amazon link for their other album, "Monkey Bars." If you like these cuts at all, either CD can be had for an amazing $2!!!! How's that for a deal?

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting stuff -- The singer's vocal style reminds me of Paul Westerberg. Surprised I never came across them.

6:49 AM  
Blogger guanoboy said...

I never thought of that comparison....but now that you mention, I can hear a bit of Paul there...although they are a bit more nasaly than Paul.

9:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also heard tinges of Lloyd Cole in his voice...

Paulo

3:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had 'monkeybars' in the early 90s, and absolutely loved it. had it on tape, and by the end of the 90s i had worn it out. Sad to find out that they only had 2 albums. Jeff Beals (i think that was his name) responded to a letter that I wrote to him, and told me about another project he was working on after Eggplant, but I don't recall what it was.. so that was pretty pointless to pass along.

10:21 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

Beals' band after Eggplant was called the Super 8 Project. They recorded an album but it was never released. Melkerson is still recording to this day, but I'm not sure what name he is using. Reportedly, he is a staunch republican.

8:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares
What's that? grapejuiceplus.