Monday, January 03, 2005

squiggle myself underneath...



So here I am...

It's always a nice surprise to find out a band you used to listen to is still around, still making records and touring and, it appears, never stopped. Makes you want to check out their newer music.

And it appears the Xymox (or Clan of Xymox) have been doing just that... Back in 1984, the one year old band had the fortune of being signed to 4AD...and released two albums on that label before leaving. Most of their success happened after leaving, when they signed to a division of a Polygram, I believe, and their album, "Twist of Shadows," sold over 300,000 copies. I remember hearing them on the radio at the time and being surprised...it wasn't very often that you heard a 4AD band on the radio at that time (1989), especially one you hadn't heard from in 4 years. But it made sense, once I found out about Polygram being behind the curtain.

So, musically, where do they fit in? It was of no surprise to find them on 4AD, their music seemed to fit in fairly easily, and their gothic overtures also melded well with a lot of their 4AD labelmates, especially early Dead Can Dance(who are currently touring). But there was often a bit more of a dance underscore to their music, meaning it was fairly common to hear their tracks out in the clubs in the mid to late 80's. And the vocals alwasy seemed a bit pushed back, melting into the music, which made their rhythms that much more apparent and a bit more infectious.

I'm not sure what their current sound is like, it appears they have releases in 2003 (Farewell) and 2004 (a best of) so they've stayed pretty active over the years. Here's a more in depth bio, and an Amazon link.

Xymox - 7th Time REMOVED
Xymox - Agonised by Love REMOVED

8 Comments:

Blogger heath said...

oh yea I love me some clan of... I should post some of their radio sessions/demos cd which is freaking amazing!

3:14 PM  
Blogger guanoboy said...

I'd love to hear that! Don't keep us in the dark!

3:34 PM  
Blogger erik said...

4AD on the radio - I hear that once rare "Frosty the Snowman" cocteau twins song on the radio and in malls all the time.

I really like clan of xymox, the first albumn is the best best minus thos mixes on the cd. A day rocks.

Xymox and the cure have the best happy guitars sounds arourd.

There later stuff is kinda lame though. I knew someone who had b sides of the new stuff and b sides were actually quite good.

9:22 PM  
Blogger heath said...

HOLD THE FREAKING PHONE

dead can dance is TOURING!?!? I missed my chances before and am kicking my ass for it. I shant do it again. wow.

what Clan of track(s) would you like to hear? the first 6 are all demo versions.

A day . Stumble And Fall . No Words . Stranger . Equal Ways . 7th Time . Going Round . Moscovite Musquito . Strange 9 To 9 . Call It Wierd . Abysmal Thoughts

1:15 PM  
Blogger guanoboy said...

DcD live are pretty amazing...I remember about 8 people up on stage at any one time...and both Lisa and Gerard's voices sounded beautiful, better than I expected. With so many performers up there, it was definately a feast for the eyes and ears...well worth it, get as close as you can!

muscovite has always been one of my favorite tunes, which version is this? I've heard two different ones over the years...

after that I'd have to say 7th time and I've never heard the last three, so any of those would be great...where did you get these, if I could ask?

1:45 PM  
Blogger heath said...

yea I have seen the live DCD tour video. its amazing stuff. goosebumps!

the xymox cd is shown here: http://www.clanofxymox.net/discography.html - subsequent pleasures, its from 1994, half way down. demos and their first EP (which is at the bottom of the same listing)

1:56 PM  
Blogger guanoboy said...

Wow...Can't wait to hear some of it...thanks so much.

Looks like it's still available, too.

I was in Los Angeles when 4AD did their All Virgos Are Mad live series...that was pretty amazing as well...I was very excited to see Wolfgang Press, even though it was a bit later in their career, and Tom Jones showed up to perform with them. That was crazy.

2:16 PM  
Blogger heath said...

I have the all virgos are mad vhs and cd, but its not the same as being there. sigh. not much 4AD comes through the midwest outside of chicago. at least I got to see the shaving the pavement tour 3 times? (lush, mojave, scheer)

your xymox is up sir!

3:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares
What's that? grapejuiceplus.