Friday, January 07, 2005

Is that it for you?



+/- are one my more recent favorite bands...they manage to combine a couple of different sounds and come up with something new. They're one of those bands that, when you're playing them, people will stop and ask you who they are.

And they've got a pretty good pedigree, too. James Balyut and Patrick Ramos both came from Versus, another strong band (James' brother is the singer and guitar player of Versus, or I guess, was). I don't know where their drummer, Chris Deaner, came from, but he definitely has the chops.

Also of note, if you're in the Washington D.C. area, +/- will be playing the big 20th birthday party for Teenbeat Records, which also includes reunions of a bunch of Teenbeat bands, including Unrest, Versus and the Eggs (if you go, buy me a shirt or something...I'll pay you back!) I've seen all three of the afformentioned bands and they were all great live, I'd recommend going.

And another bonus, Teenbeat Records is having a HUGE sale...that's right...all full length CDs are $10...that includes all the bands mentioned above plus In Camera (of 4ad fame, do you have that already, Heath?), The Fontaine Toups (also from Versus),Tuscadero and Grenadine, just to drop a few names...

So, check out +/- and if you like them, head over to Teenbeat and buy the CD's...you won't get a better price.

trapped under ice floes (redux) from you are here
surprise! from you are here
i've been lost from holding patterns
the queen of detroit from self-titled long-playing debut album
setting your head on fire from self-titled long-playing debut album

6 Comments:

Blogger heath said...

yep I gots the In Camera heh.

5:14 PM  
Blogger guanoboy said...

I knew you would! I've got it as well...not one of my favorites, but there are some solid tracks on it.

6:10 PM  
Blogger erik said...

anything 4ad get my ears at attention.

what did i miss x years ago when i has hungry and poor with no money for import cassettes?

Listening to +/- now, two songs into it, both songs very solid but very different from each other. Two songs left to go...

I still like that one dears song from yesterday as well. I think we need at least two songs to do a post from now on.

9:46 PM  
Blogger guanoboy said...

Did not know that about James...interesting...I guess at this point it's impossible to find that early stuff he was involved with, but I'll keep my eyes open.
The last teenbeat sampler I have is from 1996. How's that for shameful? I used to do a lot of mailorder but over the years I've just stopped, and teenbeat isn't as easy to find in the stores anymore. I was going to place an order and I'll add that sampler to the list if it's still available.

I've been following the teenbeat mp3 page for a few months now, wish I had found it earlier, as it seems I've missed out on a lot of stuff.

Erik, as far as two songs per post, I try to do that everytime, but with the dears song, because I was posting others I didn't and I had just run into a number of cross posts on other blogs with dears songs, both of those influenced there being only one song.

9:20 AM  
Blogger guanoboy said...

Thanks, Five! Downloading as I type...I also changed the link on the side to reflect your updated link. Are you the same guy who runs My Mean Magpie? Just curious, as I'm often visiting that site and they are related, no?

Thanks again.

8:10 PM  
Blogger guanoboy said...

Five,

Out of curiosity, have you ever done any Scaley Andrew posts? It seems impossible to find anything by them except what's been on the Teenbeat Compilation CD's...

thanks...

8:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares
What's that? grapejuiceplus.