Wednesday, December 01, 2004

chicky chicky ba ba ba ba chicky!



I debated on whether or not to do this post today...but in the end, Renegade Soundwave Prevailed...maybe it was because I haven't posted much like them yet. I don't know. It was weird...when I started re-listening to their stuff, which I haven't done in YEARS I felt really let down...my memories of the music seemed much better than what I was hearing.

But I kept listening to the singles and albums I have and well, I thought, I kinda have to post this. Don't know why. I just felt compelled.

Here's a comprehensive bio from Mute Liberation Technologies:
Formed in the late eighties in West London, RENEGADE SOUNDWAVE are known for their inventive fusion of club sound and metropolitan character. With the original line -up of Gary Asquith, Danny Briottet and Karl Bonnie, Renegade Soundwave were known for their "Soundclash" and "In Dub" albums, and their up-front knowledge of the club scene. Their early singles ; 'Biting My Nails" " Space Gladiator", "Probably A Robbery" and "Thunder 11" revealed an ear and an eye for stimulating detail. In fact "Probably a Robbery", their first Top 40, hit was complemented by the club remixes of "O-Zone Breakdown" which were checked and decked in all the right places.

After a lengthy break, during which time Renegade slimmed down to a two piece, (Gary Asquith and Danny Briottet) they returned with the single "Renegade Soundwave" complete with its perfectly timed Leftfield remixes. "Renegade Soundwave" was a perfect taster for the album "HOWYOUDOIN?'" flush with confidence, tricky little samples, characteristic tales of late night highs and early morning come downs and , of course, an array of instruments and subject matter that was only matched by their width of influence.

Bringing together musical genres as diverse as dub, jazz and rock and roll Renegade Soundwave write an accurate score for their own inner-city tales. The Autumn of 1994 saw Renegade Soundwave step in the live arena with their club friendly blend of dubbed up bass sounds.

So there you have it...and here we go :
Renegade Soundwave - Kray Twins REMOVED
Renegade Soundwave - Biting My Nails (vocal) REMOVED
Renegade Soundwave - Last Freedom Fighter REMOVED
Renegade Soundwave - Blast 'em Out REMOVED
You can get some of their stuff over at Amazon.


5 Comments:

Blogger redrosesforme said...

Excellant choices, especially "Biting My Nails". Although my favorite song by them is "Renegade Soundwave".
(htttp://www.turquoisedays.blogspot.com)

8:25 PM  
Blogger CP said...

This side of techno, R.S. is the most unfunky dance band ever---and they make Vanilla Ice sound like Jay-Z when they rap. In other words, I love'em! I used to bust a move to "Cocaine Sex" all the time. Maybe I'll dig that up and post it.

9:13 PM  
Blogger erik said...

I think for a while Renegade Soundware, Pop will eat its self, and even The Wonderstuff + others were in funny loving mocking war of sorts with each other. They would take phrases from each others songs and place them in their own songs.

I was into PWEI and Wonderstuff, but others like RS and other bands that I can not recall right now. We would drink coffee and listen to this stuff and say "Hey band X has a Y with this in it." At one point in time we tried making a time line of songs to see which bands said what first.

9:38 PM  
Blogger thebeathunters said...

RS is the bright exemple of a group i was aware of but never took a chance to even listen to (xcept the famous eponymous single) your selection sure makes me want to catch up with what i missed. thanks for sharin'

1:48 AM  
Blogger 20jazzfunkgreats said...

Cocaine Sex still rocks my word.
I never really saw Renagade Soundwave as having anything to do with the Wonderstuff to be honest, but being a fully fledged Grebo at the time Renagade Soundwave were always on my compilation tapes along with PWEI, NIN, Ministry, NWA, Public Enemy, and of course The Gaye Bykers on Acid.
Nice post,
Keep warm in winter
http://20jazzfunkgreats.blogspot.com

7:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares
What's that? grapejuiceplus.