Monday, November 15, 2004



Somewhere between Patti Smith, PJ Harvey and Team Dresch exists a band called Chinchilla. I'm not even sure if they exist anymore, to be quite honest, as I can find nothing about them out there.

I saw them live back around 1996, I think they opened for the Gories, I'm not sure...but, suffice it to say that they rocked live, a lot of power and intensity and emotion on stage. On top of that, Chinchilla are 4 girls that can rock...why is that such a rare thing?

Anyway, their record tends to labor at times, with songs that go on for long time, the longest being around 8 minutes, but when they are concise, it works really well, at least for me. Here's an example of both, the first being a shorter song, the second being a long one. Now, don't get me wrong, "In Hiding" has some great moments, I just find myself thinking it should end.

You can actually buy the record, 101 Italian Hits, new at RevHQ or used over at Amazon.

So, turn it up...

Chinchilla - Decoder - REMOVED
Chinchilla - In Hiding - REMOVED

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found this album at a yard sale years ago, sans cover, knew nothing about them. Was smitten as soon as I heard the refrain "Serve yourself to me, on a big tray"...

I have to agree with you about some songs dragging on a bit too long, though.

Cheers, Madonis

6:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

no, the Mighty Chinchilla are no longer...
Julie D (guitar) is probably still making rock sounds, last i heard she ran off to Texas with her boyfriend.
but as far as i know the rest of the grrls aren't doing much. Krista ( the bassist) resides in San Diego and is a mommy and wife but her rock ambitions aren't a major focal point.
who knows...would be nice if they did it one last time.
check out the Little King Ep.

6:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are close.....

Julie D ran off to Seattle with her boyfriend (now husband), and after years of trying to meet other people to play with have finally decided to start a band together. Keep your eyes/ears open.

Sioban ran off to San Francisco and is still making music.

Morgan ran off to Toronto and is still making music (http://www.morgandoctor.com).

Krista is still in San Diego and has been keeping a lookout for others to play with too.....

A reunion is, sadly, unlikely.

2:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares
What's that? grapejuiceplus.