Tuesday, November 09, 2004

...as my head comes apart...



Here's a couple of rare tracks by Matthew Sweet. I haven't followed his career lately, but after poking around a bit, it seems like I should be. Has anyone heard any of his newer stuff?

These two tracks come from a promo only album, "Goodfriend: Another Take on Girlfriend," which came out shortly after "Girlfriend." It's mostly live and acoustic versions of his songs, with a couple of covers thrown in. There's something about this album that always seemed so sad to me, and when I found out it was mostly based on his failing marriage, it all fell into place and I started paying more attention to the lyrics and it really was sad.

"Girlfriend" was a surprise following his first two albums, "Inside" and "Earth." There is so much more GUITAR on this album, and originally I was turned off by it (a couple of tracks were all over the radio as well, which didn't help), but it grew on me.

I discovered Matthew Sweet through Lloyd Cole, for whom he often played guitar with in the early days. I'll try and post some Lloyd Cole stuff in the future, but suffice it to say that I'm a big fan of him.

This version of You Don't Love Me is a lot stronger, in my opinion. The rawness of the live performance add a lot more emotion to it.

You can buy his stuff through his website or just about anyplace else, here's an Amazon link.

Matthew Sweet - You Don't Love Me - REMOVED
And here's a cover of a Neil Young song.
Matthew Sweet - Cortez The Killer - REMOVED

2 Comments:

Blogger Craig said...

i just posted som emathew sweet as well but I like yours better...oh well...please post more off this record

craig
songsillinois

1:51 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

My brother and I have been having a rambling conversation about Lloyd Cole for about, ooh, a couple of months now. Both of us are big fans - which is slightly ironic given he wrote a song called 'Why I hate Country Music'. I'll be interested to see which Lloyd track you decide to post.
Cheers,
Beth

2:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares
What's that? grapejuiceplus.