Friday, November 12, 2004

You just unfold...



AR Kane formed back in the mid-80's and were always one of those bands that I never understood why they didn't go further. They were one-half of M.A.R.R.S. (the other half being Colourbox, which I'll have to post something by later) which had a pretty big hit w/"Pump up the Volume."

Their music was trip-hop before there was trip-hop, and All Music Guide calls them "Arguably the most criminally under-recognized band of their era..." They were briefly on 4AD records and then moved to Rough Trade for the first full length, 69, which both of these songs are from. All of their stuff is out print, it seems, but I'm sure you can find it used on ebay or elsewhere. I vividly remember seeing their album listed as one of the jazz writer's top ten picks for the year in Tower Records "Pulse" magazine, back when the album was released and was very surprised by that. I felt so justified in liking the album so much with that fact to back me up (can you see my smug grin?).

The first song here, "Crazy Blue", is a bit more up-beat and pop orientated, while the second, "Baby Milk Snatcher," is more moody and sound driven. Enjoy!

A R Kane - Crazy Blue REMOVED

A R Kane - Baby Milk Snatcher REMOVED

4 Comments:

Blogger heath said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5:44 PM  
Blogger heath said...

damn I was wanting to post some AR Kane... criminally unrecognized yes. they can be a tough listen, too. I always love when they are called the black Jesus and Mary Chain!

maybe I will kick the Colourbox before you have the chance. heh

5:46 PM  
Blogger erik said...

A love from outer space is a great tune as well. I can put in on repeat and listen to for at least 24 hours straight.

The black jamc is great description, not sure if it fits A R Kane 100% though. Not sure any band has matched that yet and if they did who would publish it?

9:07 PM  
Blogger erik said...

I now think TV on the Radio is the new black JAMC

8:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares
What's that? grapejuiceplus.