Sunday, February 06, 2005

Supergirl's got her hang-ups...



When I think of twee...I think of Tullycraft. Why? Because they embody everything that is twee...when you're listening to them, you're taken back to that time in 4th grade when your life seemed BIG...all that mattered where your comic books and toys and that cute girl(or guy) you had a crush on and well...what did that mean? What did you do with with those crazy feelings?

And that's were Tullycraft (and their predecessor, Crayon) live...they inhabit that world between ages 10 and 15 where things are just so different and you have questions you want to know the answers to but nobody understands...

And, yeah, I know, these guys aren't for everyone. Sean's voice is, well, undeniably unique and they aren't the best musicians in the world but when they hit it right there's something so magical there - it'll make you smile.

And they've just finished up a new album for a release in May...

You can find there stuff over at Amazon. They even have a tribute album, "First String Teenage High (the songs of Tullycraft played by people who aren't).

Check out these two songs from their site and if you like them, head over here, they've got a BUNCH more. Here's also a link to an interview that took place back in 1997.

Tullycraft - Superboy, Supergirl
Tullycraft - Pop Songs Your New Boyfriend's Too Stupid To Know About

I remember seeing Crayon live years ago, and boy where they fun...the drummer wore a lion's suit without the head and they put their all into it....

4 Comments:

Blogger Jericho said...

When I was music director at a college radio station, my co-md hated Tulleycraft because of "pop songs..." He felt it represented all of the pretentious elitist negative stereotypes of indie rock. From then on I would play it on my radio show when I knew he was listening and dedicate it to him and his indie cred.

1:09 PM  
Blogger guanoboy said...

Now that's funny...

I've got a huge soft spot for them...maybe it's 'cause my wife likes 'em so much, maybe it's because Sean's such a nice guy...maybe because I saw crayon so very long ago...i don't know.

I always thought that song was just funny. I think your co-MD took it a bit too seriously...

2:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

did you ever hear sean's side project six cents & natalie? their boyfriends ep is one of the jewels of my high school seven-inch collection. boyracer did a good cover of the title track.

karen

9:21 AM  
Blogger guanoboy said...

I have heard Six Cents & Natalie, actually have one of his CD's. It didn't connect as well for me, it was a bit rougher around the edges, but I did enjoy it!

1:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares
What's that? grapejuiceplus.