Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Slender is the night...

Down and dirty rock and roll. How else can Slender be described? Listen and you'll hear the influence of the Clash, the Cramps and Early Social Distortion. Hard driving with a touch of rockabilly and halloween thrown in there.

Slender - Zarathelma



I was lucky enough to meet Rod Damnit (vocals) through work, a chance thing. They even agreed to one of my formulaic interviews.

Rod Damnit - Vocals
Clint Grubb - Guitar
Kent Carter- Bass
Joe - Drums

1) What is your first musical memory?
Clint - Elvis dying. I was like 3 or something.
Rod- The Batman Theme
Kent - Watching Sound of Music on the TV.

2) What was the first album/CD/tape that you remember purchasing? The last?
Clint - Disco Duck. Bitchin record, still break it out from time to time.
Rod - First: Devo, Are We Not Men & Elvis Costello, Armed Forces from the local head
shop/record store Last: Paul Anka, Rock Swings
Kent - Ozzy Osbourne, "Diary of a Madman." I had to actually buy it twice because
my parents through it out because it was so "evil."

And they know how to cover a song, making it their own:

Slender - Bye, Bye Love

3) Has there been anything lately in your life that unexpectedly struck you as beautiful?
Clint - I see beautiful things everyday.
Rod - panini machines, and they way my lady looks at me - that‚s right
Kent - Lands End here in SF on a nice day.

4) Of all of the things that you own, what is the one material thing you couldn't do without?
Clint - My truck
Rod - pants that fit loosely in the crotch. But not too loose.
Kent - My 1978 Fender Jazz Bass Guitar.



5) If you could go back and change one decision that you made in the past, what would it be and why?
Clint - There's too many for me to pick just one.
Rod - drinking that Brain Hemorrhage Clint made me recently (why? One word: hawaiianpizzabarfinthebathroomsinkat3am) Bitchin.
Kent - Play Rock and Roll sooner. I would have been able to take more advantage of my youthful good looks.

6) What's your favorite part of the music making process?
Clint - Playing live, and recording.
Rod - writing new stuff and playing with my brethren for a rabid crowd. Not real rabies - but you know what I mean.
Kent - Rocking out with my buddies.

7) What's your best musical memory?
Clint - Again, there's so many. Any good show with any one of the bands that I've ever played in. Even some of the crappier shows we've played all have good memories attached to them.
Rod - Seeing Johnny Cash at the Alameda County Fair two years in a row when I was in high school. I guess that's actually two memories. Sorry.
Kent - Performing to a packed house in the old CW Saloon on Stinky's Peepshow night.



8) What's the most frightening thing that's ever happened to you?
Clint - Getting mugged at gunpoint. No fun at all.
Rod - The time the Denver SWAT Team stormed the friend's house two of us were staying in after a show there (about 7:00am)∑ they weren‚t after us, they were after the roomate, and I was actually sleeping in the RV out front, so I slept through it all - Clint and our old drummer Joe were pretty scared though.
Kent - Watching my house burn down, along with our band's master tapes for our new record.

9) What's your favorite television show, film or book?
Clint - Anything on discovery channel.
Rod - Lately, any news outlet that isn‚t controlled by the White House in some fashion. George, you're an asshole.
Kent - The new Battlestar Galactica pretty much rocks.

10) How old is your oldest piece of clothing?
Clint - About 30 yrs. old.
Rod - 74 years. I think.
Kent - My Eagle Scout uniform. I think it's about 20 years old.



11) What instrument strikes you as being capable of producing the most beautiful sound?
Clint - Skin flute.
Rod - Steel Drums, hands-down.
Kent - French Horn

And speaking of covers, here's my favorite track off their new album:

Slender - Train in Vain REMOVED

Lots of other tracks available at their site, so run over there and check it out. You can buy their latest album for only 9.95, what a steal. Check it out at Interpunk.

They've also recently finished a music video, which you can dig right over here.

Listed on BlogShares
What's that? grapejuiceplus.