Monday, April 04, 2005

...but my mouth forgot to ask...



I've posted a few rockabilly/psychobilly bands before, but the band that has been at the top of my list for 20 or so years is the Guana Batz. They managed to maintain a certain edge to their music, especially in their live shows, while still showing a strong belief in the roots of the sound. The band is still together, although in a different form than so long ago, mainly because the lead singer, Pip, moved from England to California.
There was a period of time where Pip was playing with Slim Jim Phantom and Lee Rocker, of the Stray Cats, and calling themselves the Guana Cats. That's a show I would've liked to have seen.
Anyway, here are two tracks from some of their ealier material, both from 12" singles originally released in 1986. You might recognize the first, I think it's a cover (nod, nod, wink, wink).

Guana Batz - I'm On Fire REMOVED
Guana Batz - B-Side Blues REMOVED

You can purchase the Guana Batz through a variety of locations, including Amazon or Harry May Records. I'd recommend their first full length, Held Down to CD at Last.

And I wanted to say thanks for everyone who checks in here every day and for putting up with my inconsistent schedule the last couple of weeks.

Here's my random 15 out of iTunes:
Jonathan Richman - Astral Plane
Pavement - Starlings of the Slipstream
Joe Jackson - Is She Really Going Out With Him?
Jon Spencer Blues Explosion - Pant Leg
Poets of Rhythm - Moira
Ted Leo & The Pharmacists - Walking to Do
Cornelius - Wataridori 2
Deltron 3030 - Virus
Orchestral Manoeuvers In The Dark - Annex
Rites of Spring - Drink Deep
Tommy McClennan - Baby, Please Don't Tell On Me
A Certain Ratio - Thin Boys
Prince Far I - Put It Out
Big Audio Dynamite - Sony
Gavin Friday + Interference - Who By Fire


How's that for random?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey man, it is great to hear that very rare batz track "B side blues" thanx a lot! stray_cat

1:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares
What's that? grapejuiceplus.