Monday, February 21, 2005

1-2-3-4-5-6-7-all good piggies go to heaven!



If you thought yesterday's post felt dated, well, wait until you hear this one. I distinctly remember buying this 12" because a friend of mine wanted it...and, well, I think was buying it only because of that. That doesn't justify it, by any means. Anyway, again, there's very little information out there about these guys. I did find this discography, however, and it seems like these guys were a bit more prolific than Alone Again Or.

It seems that Secession was Peter Thomson, Carole Branston, Charlie Kelly and J.L. Seenan. They started out in 1983 and released a number of singles before they released their one and only album in 1987, from which this single comes. It seems that early in their career they were signed to Beggars Banquet and then switched to Siren, why I don't know.

As your listening to the A side, "Radioland," just wait until you hear the horn solo towards the end. Wow. It really takes it over the edge. It almost sound like a song someone would make to parody the whole 80's sound. Now, you flip the album over, and it becomes a little bit better. It's still, well, very New Wave, but at least it's a bit more listenable. The sounds of samples and wow...maybe it isn't that much better. No, it definitely isn't.

The vocals on Radioland actually remind me a tiny bit of Charlie Sexton...remember him? Simon Says starts out like a bad mixture of New Order and A Certain Ratio...and, well, I'll leave the rest up to you. I'm sure someone out there will be upset by my remarks.

Secession - Radioland REMOVED
Secession - Simon Says REMOVED
Secession - Everybody's Sneakin REMOVED

And, like Alone Again Or, it seems that your only chance of finding any of this stuff is through the used market. Or I'll sell you mine.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello,

I know this is an old post, but I thought I'd let you know that I have just pulled 'The Magician' out of my box of 8 pence records - and using this post as a springboard found out more interesting stuff about Secession.

Pop here to find out the Nirvana connection :

http://www.iamnotthebeatles.com

(and go to 'welcome' and 'the rules' to see what I mean about the 8 pence bit)

All the best, love your blog,

Ian TB

10:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares
What's that? grapejuiceplus.