Sunday, February 20, 2005

Sun Don't Shine at all..



So, remember how I said I was going to start posting some more obscure stuff, now that my turntable's all up and working? Well, here's a sample of that.

And these guys are so obscure, well, I can't seem to find anything out about them at all. Here's what I can discern from the 12"...three guys, with the last names of Angus, McKenzie and McKenzie. So, I'm assuming there's some blood relationship going on there, but who knows. That's it. That's all I know.

Wait...hold on a second...ahhh (I'm flipping through my LPs)...yes....remember (for those of you of the right age) Debut Magazine? The U.K. magazine that came w/an album? Debut04 had a story about them. Let's see...it turns out they are brothers, Derek and Keith McKenzie, and it's Colin Angus. And they're Scottish. From the article:

The trio formed after a confrontation in a second hand shop in Aberdeen between Colin and Derek. The pair were arguing over ownership of an old 60's "Love" album. Sense prevailed and it was decided that Derek would actually purchase the record and Colin would do a spot of pirating and tape it. The initial meeting led to them discovering they shared mutual interests besides the Love album and Keith was brought in to form the group. The name of the band was derived froma track on the aforementioned album.

Now, as far as I can tell, this 12" may be their only release. The article itself doesn't give any clue as to anything more, as it's written after they just signed to Polydor and they only had a demo tape at the time. So who knows, this may be the extent of it. I remember buying the 12" as a result of hearing the track on the Debut LP, and, although liking it, being slightly disappointed. It didn't seem to have quite the same edge as the Debut track.

Alone Again Or - Drum the Beat (from Debut04 - 1984) REMOVED
Alone Again Or - Dream Come True (Splintered Version - 1985) REMOVED
Alone Again Or - Smarter Than The Average Bear (Ursa Major - 1985) REMOVED

Oh, and one more thing. There may be a reason they only released this 12", I mean, this really sounds sorta dated. It's very 80's. My wife laughed when I played it for her. They are what they are though, and I don't think you'll find them anywhere else.

And for those of you that don't know, Debut Magazine was a UK publication that was a magazine and a full length album. The albums were generally filled with New Wave goodness. For example, this issue had Lloyd Cole and the Commotions, Parachute Club, Melody Makers, the Pogues, Nick Heyward, and Spandau Ballet, to name just a few.

4 Comments:

Blogger Dennis said...

Haha, your wife was right. Nice post nevertheless.

4:43 AM  
Blogger N.E. said...

Blimey, this takes me back...

2:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Debut magazine! Yes, I have one copy of that, with Morrissey and Johnny Marr on the cover. I can't remember the included track though. I still have it at home...but I'm not at home now. Good stuff Darren.

6:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

they became the Shamen

this blog is really good - ta v much

2:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares
What's that? grapejuiceplus.