Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Ferryesque



I've never been a huge Bob Dylan fan. I've always appreciated his work but his voice hasn't made him high on my list. Bryan Ferry, on the other hand, made it pretty near to the top. He's been a part of my musical experience as long as I remember. His new album, Dylanesque, is a meshing of the two, an album of Dylan covers as done by Ferry.

Bryan Ferry's voice is slowly changing as he ages. It's notably different on this album. I wouldn't say it's a change for the better or for the worse, though. It's just a bit different, a bit more restrained.

The strength of the album, coming from someone who isn't familiar with all of the songs, is that it makes one realize the strength of Dylan's writing. It wraps it in a glossy, Bryan Ferry sound and makes you understand that at heart, Dylan really writes pop hits.

There are a few misses on the album, but over all it's well worth a listen:

Bryan Ferry - Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues (streaming)

So take the time to search it out.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Jacob said...

I love Bryan Ferry's voice. I've been compared to him actually (most unfavorable to him haha) But anyways as a singer he is a huge inspiration and he covers dylan really well. Glad you decided to give it a spin and it helped you appreciate dylan because I'm a fan of both guys. Asabougies on AIM if you want to chat.

11:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares
What's that? grapejuiceplus.