Wednesday, October 20, 2004

Long Beach Circa 1992

I'm going to post two songs by two different bands, different in a lot of ways.... First, let me say that when I was living in Long Beach back in 88-96 I went to a lot of live shows and saw some great bands...
First off, here's the Primitive Painters, a band from Orange County who took their name from a song by Felt, although they sound nothing like Felt. They definitely have that sort of early 90's college rock feel, and I think this song actually got some airplay down in Southern California...I just found out that the band (2 of the members) have recorded a new album which you can find here. And apparently they were number 105 on the "129 Greatest OC Bands Ever" list. They still hold up for me, maybe it's the nostalgia...

Primitive Painters - Wonderful - REMOVED

And then there's further.... There's a good chance you've heard of them. From their remains rose Beachwood Sparks and The Tyde.
Early on, they reflected alot of other music, including Dinosaur Jr. and Sonic Youth (Wharton Tiers recorded this album, and Lee Renaldo played xtra guitar on a couple of songs). This song is from their first album, Grip Tape L.P., which seems to be no longer available. It will definitely remind you of Dinosaur Jr., but you can hear where they would end up in the guitar work. And these guys were amazing live, one of my friends turned me on to them. She had the biggest crush on Darren Rademaker. It was so cute.

Further - Overrated - REMOVED

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares
What's that? grapejuiceplus.